Final Score: Western Michigan 5 | St. Bonaventure 1
Location: Port Charlotte, Fla. (North Complex)
Records: Western Michigan 2-5 | St. Bonaventure 0-6
St. Bonaventure Starters: T. Johnson (SS), Hutmacher (LF), Rosencrance (1B), Dunn (3B), Weightman (RF), Bell (CF), LaLonde (DH), Trimble (C), Styn (2B), Klimek (P)
Western Michigan Starters: Miller (3B), Hoekstra (2B), Sohn (SS), Kujawa (RF), Piccirilli (DH), Buglione (LF), Sunde (C), Cable (1B), Shutes (CF), Laudicina (P)
The Short Story: The St. Bonaventure baseball team never led on Friday, February 28 as they fell to the Western Michigan Broncos in Port Charlotte, Fla., 5-1. The Broncos recorded the first run in the third inning after their right-fielder tripled to right field. In the next frame the Bonnies' hitting-machine, Dylan Dunn, continued his impressive hitting as he belted a double down the left field line in the top of the fourth inning. Dunn has had a RBI in the last five games and leads the team with seven. The tie ballgame would not last as WMU went on to tack on three-runs in the fifth inning off three hits. Two innings later, Western Michigan notched in another run to extend their lead to four.
How It Happened:
- Sophomore Thad Johnson registered the first hit of the game as he led off in the first inning with a double to left field.
- After a pair of innings with no scoring the Broncos finally pushed one across in the third after their right-fielder tripled to right field to drive in the third-baseman.
- The Bonnies answered back in the fourth with a Dylan Dunn double down the left field line on a 0-2 count. Two batters later, Tyler Bell reached on an error by the first-baseman and also resulted in a Dunn score.
- Western Michigan ultimately closed out the game in the fifth inning with a three-run inning. They started the inning with back-to-back singles from the third-baseman and second-baseman. The Bonnies would go on to load the bases as Klimek hit Sohn. In the next at-bat, Kujawa recorded his second and third RBI of the game as he knocked a single to right field. The next batter would drive in the runner to extend the Broncos' lead to three.
- In the seventh inning, Western Michigan posted their fifth run and final run of the game off a sac-fly to right field.
Inside The Box Score:
- On the mound, Steven Klimek threw for seven innings with three strikeouts and allowing five runs on eight hits.
- Thad Johnson now has three two-hit games this season including today against the Broncos.
- The Bonnies had seven hits on the day coming from five different players. Among those five was Daniel Trimble, who has registered three hits out of the last four games.
- In relief, Drew Teller pitched one scoreless inning, including a strikeout.
Stat Of The Day:
4 – Joel Rosencrance, Dylan Dunn, Thad Johnson and Tyler Bell have been mainstays for the Brown and White as they have started all six games. The four players have combined for a .300 batting average with 29 hits.
St. Bonaventure continues to battle teams from the great lakes state as they are scheduled for a 10:30 AM tilt against the Central Michigan Chippewas on March 1 in Port Charlotte, Fla. The Chippewas are currently 2-6.