@BonniesBaseball Suffers One-Run Loss To Chicago State
Final Score: Chicago State 5 | St. Bonaventure 4
Location: Port Charlotte, Fla.
Records: Chicago State 2-5 | St. Bonaventure 0-5
St. Bonaventure Starters: T. Johnson (SS), Hutmacher (1B), Rosencrance (P/DH), Dunn (3B), Heath (RF), Bell (CF), Weightman (LF), Trimble (C), Styn (2B)
Chicago State Starters: Patterson (CF), Davis (LF), Romanin (3B), Matheson (1B), Stroschein (RF), Swenson (C), Poff (DH), Hunt (2B), Russell (SS), Mehring (P)
The Short Story: The St. Bonaventure baseball team suffered a one-run loss at the hands of the Chicago State Cougars on Thursday, February 27 in Port Charlotte, Fla. The Cougars pounced early as they drove in two runs in the first inning. The Bonnies fought their way back in the third and fourth inning to tie the ballgame up. Despite tying the game, Chicago State responded quickly with a run in the bottom of the fourth. In the sixth inning the Bonnies claimed their first lead of the day after a two-run single from Daniel Trimble. The Cougars went on to score in the next frame, this time coming off a throwing error from the Bonnies' starting pitcher. Chicago State closed out the game in the eighth inning with a sac-fly to left field that allowed the runner to tag and score.
How It Happened:
- The Brown and White came out swinging to begin the game as they recorded two base hits in the top of the first inning. Despite the two hits, St. Bonaventure was unable to score.
- In the next half-inning, Chicago St. tacked on two runs from a pair of a singles coming off the bats of Stroschein and Swenson.
- Dylan Dunn once again came up huge for the Bonnies, in the third inning he drove in his sixth RBI of the season from a two-out double down the right field line.
- In the next inning, the Bonnies tied the ballgame up off a suicide squeeze play from Tommy Styn to score Tyler Bell from third.
- The Cougars quickly answered back with a run in the bottom of the fourth to retake the lead, 3-2.
- Two innings later, SBU found itself with two runners in scoring position after a Brian Weightman double down the left field line that advanced Bell to third. Freshman Daniel Trimble recorded his first collegiate RBI with a single to right field that scored Bell and Weightman.
- With its first lead of the day, St. Bonaventure squandered it in the next frame from a throwing error on Joel Rosencrance, which would tie the ballgame, 4-4.
- Sanford Hunt of Chicago State would connect on a 1-2 pitch and drive the ball to right field for a triple to begin the eighth inning. Two batters later, Hunt tagged up off a Patterson sac-fly to left field to score the game-winning run for the Cougars.
Inside The Box Score:
- Bret Heath tallied the first triple of the season for the Bonnies in the eighth inning.
- Dylan Dunn's RBI count of six is exactly half of the total for the Brown and White this season.
- Joel Rosencrance threw for six innings and posted seven strikeouts and allowed four runs on eight hits.
Stat Of The Day:
3 – In today's matchup there were a total of three balks. Starting pitcher for Chicago State, Dan Mehring, recorded two balks in back-to-back innings. Joel Rosencrance posted his balk in the fourth inning.
The Bonnies continue in search of their first victory of the 2014 campaign as they face-off against the Western Michigan Broncos on Friday, February 28 at 10:30 a.m. The Broncos are 1-5 so far this season.